Tuesday, January 17, 2012

< rant > SERIOUSLY?! Who the what now? < / rant >

I want to clear something up. I have recently been accused of being shy about criticism, and having avoidance issues when it comes to discussing my new viewpoint on my diet. I’m not sure why people think that I don’t want to discuss my viewpoints on veganism, because I actually do (Please see my earlier post: Societal Concerns). What I DON’T want is for someone to come into my house, take a crap on the floor, and proceed to tell me I’m the dirty one, when they are clearly the one with the problem.


Ok, bad analogy. But my point is, while yes, I am posting my recipes and viewpoints publicly, you should never feel like you have the right to come in here and tell me that this, that, and the next thing are wrong and bad and unhealthy. This is true in any situation, but it’s especially true if ... lets say this actually happened, and a  person who commented negatively was obese, unhealthy, and clearly wouldn’t know healthy eating if it hit them in the face.


I want to encourage discussion. I want to hear your viewpoints. I want to educate you, and of course I want you to educate me. If you can cite the source you’re using and you can present your comment/topic/question politely (not like you’re a spoiled, rude, know it all brat), of COURSE we can have an intelligent, reciprocal conversation about something you’re not sure about or something you maybe disagree with that you see on my blog. 

Other side note... Check out tonight's dinner recipes: BURGERS AND FRIES, yum!


I think (PLEASE correct me if I’m wrong- seems like I’ve been wrong a lot lately *sarcasm*) that all I’m asking here are for my readers and/or commenters to follow the basic rules of politeness and societally imposed rules of conversational engagement.

For instance, I wouldn’t post anything negative on your Facebook or your blogpost about eating a McDonald’s cheeseburger, even if you had proclaimed that you’d be eating healthier or whatnot more often, EVEN though I have rather strong opinions on the nutritional content of said cheeseburger. And they are yummy (yes, I still think that! I just don’t eat them…), and they have their place (hangover/weekend/nom time food). But I won't say anything rude or opinionated because if Cheeseburger-eater posted this, even if they said they were going to eat healthier, its none of my damn business if they didn't stick to their mission statement for one meal. It's really none of my business anyway. I truly believe “to each his own,” AND that sometimes, you just need to bite your tongue (even if you know... you just KNOW you're right. You know that little excited voice in your head that goes, "Oooooooh! OOOOOH! I know the answer!!! I know, I know!! Say it out loud! Pick me!! Say it!  I KNow that one!!!" Ignore that voice; that voice is a bitchy snob incarnate). 

Besides all of that, the cheeseburger-post may BE a public post, but that doesn’t mean that I can say something like … “I remember you said you were thinking about eating healthier? This is not healthy. Actually, the cheeseburger you’re referring to is very high in saturated fat and sodium, as well as dreadfully high in calories; it is very heart unhealthy and I suggest you rethink your choice.” Did Cheeseburger-eater/poster ask anyone’s opinion? Hmmmm….

Ummmm... you really should rethink your choice! You know, that vegan
mumbo-jumbo doesn't MEAN you're healthy! Clearly, I would know!
You're putting OIL on those! OIL HAS FAT. Fat is bad, therefore,
(with no sources to cite and no personal background in health or no
background or *ahem* Bachelors degree in Health and/or
nutrition) I say, VEGAN BAD!
Here, try some Kale Chips! They are super yummy, vegan, and healthy!




So, is that nice? (No.) Is that civilized? (No.) Was an opinion asked from the Cheeseburger-poster in this scenario? (No.) Is the Cheeseburger-poster within their rights to ask Cheeseburger-commenter (privately, of course) to please stop saying negative things about their behavior? (Yes, and if they feel bullied, they absolutely should say something to the person posting nasty comments to them.)

I’m a firm believer of two things: 
  1. "What goes around comes around” 
  2. “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

Also high on the list are: 

       3. “Think before speaking (or writing) to another- how do I come off? Am I rude?” and/or 
       4. “Am I being unreasonable right now? Am I being an insufferable bitch?” 

… these are things (in my opinion) that one should think about before posting online.. or speaking in person, for that matter.

The quest to be correct shouldn’t trump common decency.

SO, again, just to be clear, I DO welcome your comments, and I DO welcome your questions. I WILL NOT, however, tolerate blatant rudeness or opinionated (and unsubstantiated) bullshit about how my recipes are unhealthy.

If you’d like to discuss something, let’s discuss! But, please, keep it clean and courteous! (In other words, please keep any nasty, opinionated comments to yourself.) I can say pretty much whatever I want... and I can delete any comments I want as well. Remember, I have freedom of speech AND a public forum on my side. This is my blog; if you don’t like what I have to say, stop reading. 

Thanks for reading; love you all!

<3 
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment